Steps to Start Your Theological Journey at HBI
Choose a program that suits you!
We offer residential programs that include 3 years of Master of Divinity and 2 years of Master of Theology. We also offer non residential programs that include 4-year B.Th(External), 2-year MABS (Evening classes thrice a week), 2-year MATUL (contact classes twice a year) and our doctoral programs. You can know more about our programs by exploring our website; consulting an admissions counselor or visiting us and meeting our faculty. We welcome you to join us through the program God calls you for!
What we look for
The requirements for admission to the different programs vary and can be found in the respective program sections mentioned above. However, the following requirements are applicable for all seeking admission into Hindustan Bible Institute and College.
- The applicant should be a committed follower of Christ having experienced the saving love and grace of Jesus Christ.
- The applicant should believe that the Bible is the Word of God and submit to its authority.
- The applicant should have a clear call for ministry.
- He or she should have a witnessing life for Christ.
- Preferably, the applicant should have been involved in the ministry of his or her own church or mission or organization and gained some experience.
- The applicant should respect the Statement of Faith recorded in the prospectus.
- All the certificates submitted for admission should be genuine.
Applying to us
A requisition letter to the Registrar of the College requesting the application and prospectus is to be sent along with a Demand Draft of Rs.500/- as the processing fee. The name and address of the student (with Pincode), along the course applied for, should be written clearly on the reverse side of the crossed D.D. Alternatively, the application and prospectus can be acquired through someone else, by sending the requisition letter and amount through that person to be paid directly at the Academic office in HBI.
Hindustan Bible Institute & College 86-89,
Medavakkam Tank Road Kellys,
Chennai – 600 010
Phone: 044 - 26421199/26423758 extn 111
You can also download the application here and send the filled in application along with a Demand Draft to the address mentioned above.
Our Screening Process
All applicants for admission into the Residential Programs should appear for an Entrance Examination and a personal interview.
All candidates will be assessed in the following areas:
1. Scripture Knowledge:Every student seeking admission in M.Div should write a simple test to prove his or her knowledge on the content of the Biblical books, theological content of the books, memory of some scripture verses and the way the Bible can be used to improve spirituality, faith and witnessing life.
2. English:All programs will be conducted in English medium and this requires that the student should be good in English. Students applying for M.Div and M.Th are required to write a test to prove their ability to read, understand and express themselves in English.
3. General Knowledge:An examination for all the M.Div students to test the grasp of contemporary national and international events will be conducted in the area of history, economics, politics, sports, culture, etc.
4. Biblical Languages:All the students seeking admission for M.Th in any branch at HBI should have done the Biblical Hebrew and Greek Grammar courses. However, those who would like to study M.Th in NT should have done enough Hebrew/Greek exegetical courses in addition to grammar. They will be tested for their ability to read, translate, parse and write exegetical comments on the original text of NT accordingly. If they cannot prove their ability in Hebrew or Greek, they will be asked to do a one-year qualifying period to fulfill the requirement.
The candidates are interviewed by a panel consisting of Principal, Academic Dean, Registrar, Director of Spiritual Formation & Pastoral Care and Faculty concerned.
Certificates & Documents to be enclosed
Applications can be obtained from the Academic Department of HBI by paying the prescribed amount either by M.O. or D.D. The filled in application should reach the Principal of HBI before the 31st of March each year. Applicants should provide the following documents and letters along with the application.
1. Xerox and attested copies of all the school/pre degree certificates/degree certificates/ diploma/ theological certificates. (Do not send the original along with the application but the original will be verified at the time of admission.)
2. Certificate to prove the date of birth of the candidate.
3. A letter from the Pastor of his or her church stating membership details.
4. A Conduct Certificate from the Head of the Institution where last studied.
5. A recommendation letter from a local Christian leader about the interest of the applicant for ministry and training.
6. A letter from the parents or Guardian allowing the student to study at HBI.
7. A financial guarantee letter from the family or sponsor or church/organization to meet the fees.
8. If a student is moving in the middle of a course from another seminary to HBI, the student should provide a “No Objection Certificate” or “Migration Certificate” from that seminary.
9. A Medical Certificate of physical and mental health fitness should be provided.