Master of Arts in Transformational Urban Leadership (MATUL)[External]
This is a two-year program, which exists in partnership with global institutions to develop and empower urban leaders to establish and sustain transformative movements within urban poor communities.
Nature of the Program
The Master of Arts in Transformational Urban Leadership is a uniquely designed, field based training program, where students will spend extensive period in urban poor communities. They will be enrolled in three community internships, each with a period of three months duration every year. Students will begin practical training in various areas of community transformation and learn to identify and address specific issues. They will work through local churches, para-church organizations and Non-Governmental organizations. They will be placed under the supervision of a senior practitioner who will guide, mentor and assess the performance of the student.
All core and optional courses will be taught in each seminar held at the college premises for 6 days. During the seminar dates, students are expected to reside at the college and utilize the library intensively. At the end of every semester students will be assessed based on the performance both in academics as well fieldwork practicum.
Purpose: Master of Arts in Transformational Urban Leadership is a foundational level program designed to produce committed, spiritually mature and effective urban workers to transform communities economically, socially and spiritually. It is conceived to give urban leaders the opportunity to work especially among the urban population which would result in transformation of localized urban areas and major cities of Asia.
Vision: The Vision is to see Christ – like emerging leaders who would think and act according to the precincts of the scripture, to make disciples of all nations. It envisages in understanding to the changing realities of the world due to globalization and urbanization and the impending changes brought in the socio- economic- political and spiritual realities. This course would help one to respond to these changes and challenges from the biblical point of view.
1. Successful completion of 12 years of schooling or its equivalent.
2. The candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or accredited seminary. Field based experience will be an added advantage.
3. Applicants who have successfully completed an unrecognized B.Th degree program (ATA/SSC) will need to appear and successfully pass a qualifying examination consisting of three papers in Biblical Studies, Theology and Christian Ministry.
4. The candidate is required to have a fair knowledge of the English knowledge.
5. The candidate should be a member of the Church and produce a recommendation letter from the pastor.
Application and Registration
1. Applicants should send Rs.200/- to get the application and prospectus.
2. Applicants should send their filled in application forms enclosing all the required copies of their certificates to The Principal, HBI, Chennai.
3. Admissions are open throughout the year.
4. Duration of the program is two years.
5. Selected candidates will be required to pay the necessary fees and get registered.
6. A candidate is given provisional admission on the basis of verification of certificates.
7. Each student admitted will be given a registration number and will be expected to complete the course in 5 years from the year of registration. Extension of one year shall be considered if there is a valid reason and by paying the extra fees.