Doctor of Ministry
Ministers with postgraduate degree in theology are given sufficient exportation to gain advanced knowledge and expertise in ministry.
Purpose: The D. Min Program is designed for Christian ministers to provide advanced training in Biblical and theological rationale for ministry and missions, contextual strategies and practical implications thereof, while they are actively engaged in local church and Para-church organizations.
Vision is to see contextually relevant national leaders with Christ-like character, deeper understanding of the nature and purpose of Church and ministry having appropriate skills to take their church and ministry to the greater levels, fulfilling the Great Commission.
Design and Nature of the Program
1. The D.Min program is an advanced, professional degree program designed for those men and women already successfully engaged in the full-time practice of ministry. It differs from a Ph.D degree in that its focus is on doing research in the context of practical ministry.
2. While the D.Min is built upon the biblical, theological and professional foundations of the M.Div or its equivalent degree, the student benefits from the integration of the rich practical experiences gained from years of subsequent ministry.
3. This program enables leaders in Christian ministry to increase their effectiveness in the church, para church organization, or mission in which they minister.
1. The course and project work often is interdisciplinary in nature and usually involves applied exercises including library research and writing.
2. A significant proportion of the program’s requirements are to be met in the candidate’s ministry setting rather than in a residential program.
1. The D.Min program is designed in such a way where the candidate will be required to attend seminars twice a year on the main HBI campus.
2. Each candidate will have to successfully complete a total of 44 credit hours:
Two orientation courses (8 hrs)
Two foundational courses (8 hrs)
Four concentration courses (16 hrs)
A dissertation (12 hours)
1. Applicants must submit a completed application form, testimony, personal references, and transcripts from all undergraduate or graduate institutions previously attended.
2. Applicants must have these demonstrated skills:
3. Above-average preaching ability
4. An understanding of today's culture
5. Appreciation of how to minister to various segments of contemporary society
6. Sensitivity to and concern for people’s needs
7. Administrative competence and
8. Clear a personal interview
1. M. Div degree accredited by Asia Theological Association with B+
2. Bachelor of Divinity from the Senate of Serampore or any other equivalent degree with B+ or high second class
3. Any secular post graduate degree and an MABS/MATUL degree
A minimum of 5 years of post M.Th ministerial experience
(Certificate to be produced from the organization concerned)
Admission is open throughout the year. The course will commence by August/September.
The D.Min program is for 3 years. A maximum of two additional years may be granted subject to the recommendation of the guide and approval of the doctoral committee.